Monday, July 26, 2010

What is your favorite healthy but delicious vegetarian recipe?

The recipes I like the best always seem to involve cheese or frying or both (eg. eggplant parmigiana). I'm looking for something healthier that's still really yummy.What is your favorite healthy but delicious vegetarian recipe?
I love soups, and they lean towards healthy, most of the time.





I've really been enjoying a butternut squash soup in the last few months:





1 small onion, diced


1 medium butternut squash, peeled, and cubed (seeds removed)


1 Tbsp olive oil


6 - 8 cups of water or vegetable broth


1 - 3 tsp curry powder


salt to taste


pepper to taste





Saute the onion in the olive oil until the onion is translucent. Add the squash, and continue cooking for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the water or broth (add 6 cups for thick soup, 8 for thinner soup). Cook, covered, for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the squash is fork tender. At this point, you can mash the squash in the pan for a chunky soup, or process it in a blender or food processor for smooth soup. Return the soup to the pot, and add seasonings; adjust for your own taste. Serve hot with fresh bread.What is your favorite healthy but delicious vegetarian recipe?
Well, I used to make this steak dish where I would cook the steak in a butter/wine sauce (usually a blackberry merlot), which was just the merlot and butter mixed. But I would think you could find a healthy butter substitute; I hear applesauce is good as a butter substitute.








Basically I would let the steak simmer in that sauce, adding tomatoes and every color of pepper (red, gold, green orange) that I could find, and then some white and purple onions, and then some shiitake mushrooms. I liked to add jalepenos as well, but not everybody liked that addition.





I just simmered all of that on low-medium heat for a while to let the flavors mix together. Then I would add some black pepper at the end.

















When I was helping a friend for a party, she had a few guests who were vegetarian. So I used this recipe, but instead of steak I went with uncut Portabella mushroom caps. You can cut them up or cook them as though they were a steak. It tastes quite awesome with the mushrooms as well.
Hummus, and also bruschetta is awesome. These are just my fave snacks.





For a more substantial meal, I just love lentils. Can't get enough. Also any veggie soup, and pasta with tomato/basil sauce and veggies, or vegan pizza.





For dessert... can't go wrong with So Delicious Vanilla and fresh raspberries! Mmm
Here are some sites:


http://www.veggieglobal.com/nutrition/vi鈥?/a>


http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetaria鈥?/a>


http://vegetarian.about.com/


http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blog鈥?/a>


http://vegetarian.lifetips.com/





My favorite is salad.
Has to be Tofu ';egg less, egg salad';





Basically a pkg of firm tofu, curry spice, mayonnaise, turmeric, onions a little pickle relish and celery. Voila a healthy meat/dairy-less dish!
Hi there,





you imagination is your limitation!


You can create amazing dishes using no meat!


Get creative and perhaps a vegetarian cook book!


Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment