Saturday, August 21, 2010

Filling, easy, quick, healthy vegetarian breakfast recipes?

I'm not vegetarian, but I'd prefer not to eat meat for breakfast. I try to eat healthy. The morning is the worst for me, becuase I wake up very early, so I eat breakfast early. What I eat just is not satisying, and I end up feeling sick with hunger by 10:00 am. Here's an example: this morning I ate a bowl of cornflakes with skim milk for breakfast. An hour later I ate a banana with just a little peanut butter (less then a tablespoon.) I started feeling sick an hour after that, so I ate half of a tomato, hummus and lettuce sandwich that was supposed to be for lunch. I was still hungry after that and had a small piece of a large sourdough pretzel an hour before lunch. I started feeling a little better, but was still very hungry at lunch. I'm willing to eat every few hours, but I want to be prepared, and I hate feeling sick with hunger. Does anyone have any ideas or recipes that I can eat in/throughout the morning that will fill me up, and is also healthy?Filling, easy, quick, healthy vegetarian breakfast recipes?
You aren't getting enough protein. I have learned to do quick, filling savory breakfasts I can bring with to work.


Take thin wheat pita bread (joseph's works well, it's soft and thin, has omega oil and protein) spread with hummus, add cheese, olives, sprouts, shredded carrots and hot sauce if you like. Roll and wrap. Works to make the night before.


Sanwiches... Good quality wheat bread, peanut butter, honey, sliced banana


Boil some eggs one night. Take the leftovers and make egg salad:


chopped eggs, mayo of your choice (I like light canola, much healthier) Dijon mustard, chopped celery a little cayenne, salt and pepper. Add swiss cheese.


Read the ingredients on your breakfast foods; cereal, fruit, pretzels are solid carbs. They spike your blood sugar, then it drops because there is no protein. That's when you get shaky, naseaus and headachy. If that does happen, drink fruit juice, and eat something right away.


No time? Buy crackers and bags of cubed cheese. It's a balance of carb/protein. Buy trail bars and peanut butter to spread. Mixed nuts are solid protein. Bags of trail mix (with seeds, nuts and dried fruit) are also good to have. All of these things (except cheese!) hold up in a bag or drawer.





Hope this helps!Filling, easy, quick, healthy vegetarian breakfast recipes?
I'm a vegan and I have a good size bowl of good quality muesli(I let this soak for about 10 minutes) a soya yogurt and two pieces of fruit, usually a banana + 1 other.


This keeps me going till lunch, occasionally I have a flapjack with my mid morning break.


You can obviously change the soya yogurt for ordinary yogurt, and change the fruit, this was just an idea for you.
my favourite filling breakfasts that keep me going until a late late are:


- poached eggs on a toasted muffin (maybe some spinach with that - basically an eggs florentine without the hollandaise sauce)


- classic soft boiled eggs and soldiers (toast cut up to dip into thesopft yolk mmmmmmmmm)


- beans on toast





all simple, quick to eat and keep me going. Other option is a veggie sausage sandwich (if you like vegetable protein pretending to be meat)
oatmeal with fruits


soy sausage with cheese on a mini whole wheat bagel (my favorite!)


cereal with soy milk and fruit


apple and peanut butter and whole wheat toast


whole wheat toast with soy ham and cheese





more protien will fill you up longer, a lot of breakfast foods are very carby and just don't last long.
after uv eaten ur cornflakes..take along with u this : 2sandwiches home made, of brown bread (wholewheat) , inside would me sliced tomatoes, cucumber n boiled potatoes(optional) .eat these sandwiches wehn ur 1st hungry after reachin office with tea or juice. in between this n lunch..eat low sugar busicuits with sugarless tea. for lunch eat the same sandwich made from home. i would eat this at work n i felt all full. leme know..
Oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar sticks with you pretty well.
i usually have a bowl of oatmeal with either peanut butter or fruit in it because it fills you up really good and keeps you from getting hungry. peanut butter also has protein in it, which keeps you fuller for that little bit longer (but dont mix it in with the oatmeal, just put it on the side of the bowl and take some peanut butter off with your spoon before scooping up the oatmeal) it sounds gross but its really good and it keeps me full!





also, protein bars are really good for vegetarians because not only do they fill you up, but we lack proteins from meats so they help to keep us healthy.
I like the Weight Control oatmeal with dried fruit in it. Its instant and sticks to your ribs. Morning star also makes veggie breafast sausage that you can throw in the microwave. There are also sweet potato pancakes, I forget who makes them, but they are microwaveable as well and absolutly delicious!


I try to eat small easy meals through out the day so I dont get sick like you were saying. I will usually eat a bar like an odwalla bar for breakfast. Then once I get to work I will eat an apple or some oatmeal with some yougart. Try things that are high in protien like nuts or cottage cheese (if you arent a vegan) Drink lots of water, it helps you feel more full.
You need to drink more water. At least 4 oz to 6 oz per hour. Your body is hungry for water. Carry a bottle of water around with you all day and when you feel hungry, take a drink. Be sure to eat your regular meals such as breakfast, lunch, dinner, and an afternoon healthy snack (I like the Fiber One bars that come in a box).





Another thing that can make you hungry all the time is diabetes. Please get a check up.





Oatmeal and toast. We buy the packages that come in a box. All you need to do is pour 1/2 cup hot water over the oatmeal and let it sit for a minute or two.





Cream of Wheat and toast (same as above).





We also buy frozen pre-cooked Pillsbury pancakes;


and Aunt Jamima French Toast.


The pancakes are heated in the microwave;


and the french toast goes in the toaster.


Don't forget the syrup.


(there are other good brands too)
One of my favorites is a slice or two of whole wheat toast with peanut butter (no sugar added) and apple sauce (no sugar added.)





You can also make a breakfast burrito with a whole wheat tortilla, some scrambled eggs, salsa, some shredded cheese and some vegetarian sausage that's been microwaved and cut into small pieces.





This is the brand of veggie sausage I like best: http://www.seeveggiesdifferently.com/product_detail.aspx?id=355





It sounds like you're not getting much protein, and you're eating simple-carbohydrate foods that burn quickly and don't sustain you for long.





If you're interested, you might look into how various foods rank on the glycemic index, which basically gives you an idea of how quick they burn: http://www.glycemicindex.com/





Lastly, here's a good list of breakfast ideas that should sustain you longer: http://www.danispies.com/archives/breakfast/
Hey!!








OK... um, healthy and filling...





A nice big bowl of porridge made with semi skimmed milk or soya milk, with a banana chopped up on top, or raisins or which ever fruit you prefer





A big bowl of muesli with milk





2 pieces of Wholemeal toast with jam on top (or try banana on top, yummy!)





Try having an innocent smoothie with your breakfast, its real nice, and fills you up some more, here's the site if your not sure what I'm talking about -


http://www.innocentdrinks.co.uk/








And there lots more vegetarian breakfasts on the vegetarian society recipe page, take a look here - http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes鈥?/a>








Hope this helped

No comments:

Post a Comment