Saturday, August 21, 2010

Any Healthy Pescatarian / Pescetarian Recipes??

I am thinking of becoming a Pescatarian. For a long time I was a vegan but here in Iceland, its harder to buy so many fruits and veggies as I did in the states (I need a job). I am trying to get a job at a fishery place and hopefully I can get free fish for the family to have once I week.





My main reason for wanting to eat fish is because Icelandic waters are MUCH cleaner and therefore pollution is not such a problem. Also, I know I could benefit from tis nutrients.





Anyhow, I have no idea how to cook it except to boil, bake, or steam it. I do not know what to do about spices or anything. I know my mom makes fish once a week for everyone and I never ate it because she always either uses milk and bread crumbs or bakes it in the oven with some homemade cheese sauce.





So, my question is... is there any 'healthy' recipes for fish (any kind but mainly Haddock which is the cheapest here, or salmon) that does not have milk, cheese, eggs, bread crumbs, meats, chemicals, etc, etc???





Thanks!





~ShawnAny Healthy Pescatarian / Pescetarian Recipes??
My boyfriend and I are pescetarian. We eat a lot of salmon, since it's fairly cheap in Canada. ;-)





1. Dilled salmon en papillote


Place the fresh salmon on a large sheet of parchment (or tinfoil). Coat the salmon in a thin coat of olive or other vegetable oil. Spread 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh dill weed over each piece of salmon. Then sprinkle salt and pepper over, and place a slice of lemon on top.


Wrap up the parchment/foil into a bag and place it on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-20 minutes - fish is done when it flakes with a fork.





2. Teriyaki salmon


Easy. Buy a bottle of good teriyaki sauce or make your own. Let the fish pieces marinate in the teriyaki sauce for a couple of hours. Place the pieces on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10-20 minutes - again, they're done when they flake.





3. Cantonese-style


(This is how my boyfriend cooks it - it is apparently how people in Hong Kong eat fish)


Grease a frying pan/wok. Place 2 pieces of white fish (haddock is fine) in the pan; douse each piece with soy sauce, 1 tbsp minced garlic, and 1 tbsp chopped green onion. Pan fry, on medium, turning occasionally, until the fish is cooked through. Add more soy sauce at the end. Serve over rice.Any Healthy Pescatarian / Pescetarian Recipes??
here are a few :)





http://www.coastangler.com/recipes.htm





wow iceland? cool!





goodluck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment